Penny Plain Water or Hydrogen-Rich Water?
Everyone knows the heavenly feeling of drinking a glass of water after an intense thirst. With every drop flowing down the throat, the body feels fulfilled. This is because 60% of the human body is made up of water and our blood is 90% water. In the event of any scarcity within the human body, the brain sends a signal to fill the void and to keep the body cells hydrated. Basically, water is the most primary requirement of our mankind to survive. Once this primary requirement contends, the man (being the smartest survivor through evolution) plans to extract something more from the plain water. Adding extra hydrogen in the penny-plain water to build health and immunity is a part of such innovation.
The Concept of Hydrogen-Rich Water
Hydrogen-rich water, or Hydrogen Water, is essentially purified water infused with molecular hydrogen. In simpler words, additional H2 or hydrogen gas is dissolved in the water.
The question is, why there is a need to add more H2 in the water when it is already being one of the constituents of it (H2O)? The reason is that hydrogen gas itself has therapeutic effects on the human body.
The science-based non-profit organization Molecular Hydrogen Foundation/Institute (MHF) helps in advancing the research and awareness about the therapeutic side of hydrogen gas. Based on their initial findings, they have published 1000+ articles that suggest that H2 gas has curative potentials for over 170 different human and animal disease models.
The earliest publications on hydrogen as a medical gas dates back to the year 1975, by Dole and colleagues from Baylor University and Texas A&M. Hydrogen-infused water is GRAS Certified by the FDA and the real consumers around the globe are testifying its health benefits.
Human body and Hydrogen Water
The human body needs water to lubricate joints, form saliva & mucous, delivering oxygen through the body, keep skin healthy, regulating body temperature, excreting waste through perspiration, urination, and defecation, helping in digestion, nutrients absorption, and aids cognitive functions. Along with its natural functions, the hydrogen-rich water is offering drastic improvement in the recovery process of the athletes, reduction in the pain and inflammation for arthritis patients, increase in overall energy and positive effects in the context of anti-aging.
The nutritionists, dermatologists, and physicians around the world are advocating the benefits of hydrogen-infused water. Dr.Perricone, M.D., a board-certified dermatologist, and nutritionist, urges people to throw away their energy drinks and opt for Hydrogen Water as it will help them to boost energy, control weight and ease inflammation & pain. These are big claims, being supported by leading research over a small size and sample population. Things go little skeptical sometimes, but the continued research and controlled use of hydrogen-infused water back up the theories, leading to the worldwide acceptance of its manufacturing, bottling and related products.
Some countries, especially Japan, are more inclined to use hydrogen-rich water in wellness. The brief table below list a few of the studies published in the higher Impact Factor (IF) journals, showing an improvement in the average IF for Hydrogen Water.
S. No. Authors Journal Year Title IF
- Ohsawa I, Ohta S Nat Med 2007 Hydrogen gas acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals 27.36
- Hayashida K, Sano M Circulation 2014 Hydrogen inhalation during normoxic resuscitation improves neurological outcome in the rat model of cardiac arrest independently of targeted temperature management 14.43
- Sun H, Wang HJ Hepatol 2011 The protective role of hydrogen-rich saline in experimental liver injury in mice 11.34
- Kawai D, Yamamoto K Hepatology 2012 Hydrogen-rich water prevents progression of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and accompanying hepatocarcinogenesis in mice 11.06
- Cardinal JS, Nakao A Kidney Int 2010 Oral hydrogen water prevents chronic allograft nephropathy in rats 8.56
- Nagata K, Ohta S Neuropsychopharmacology 2009 Consumption of molecular hydrogen prevents the stress-induced impairments in hippocampus-defendant learning tasks during chronic physical restraint in mice 7.05
- Jin Q, Shen W Plant Cell Environ 2013 Hydrogen gas acts as a novel bioactive molecule in enhancing plant tolerance to paraquat-induced oxidative stress via the modulation of heme oxygenase-1 signalling system 6.96
- Xie Y, Shen W Plant Physiol 2014 Reactive Oxygen Species-Dependent Nitric Oxide production Contributes to Hydrogen-Promoted Stomatal Closure in Arabidopsis 6.84
- Nakao A, McCurry KR K Heart Lung Transplant 2010 Amelioration of rat cardiac cold ischemia/reperfusion injury with inhaled hydrogen or carbon monoxide, or both 6.65
- 10 Noda K, Nakao A J Heart Lung transplant 2013 A novel method of preserving cardiac grafts using a hydrogen-rich water bath 6.65
- Zhou H, Li W J Heart Lung Transplant 2013 Hydrogen inhalation decreases lung graft injury in brain-dead donor rats 6.65
How Can Hydrogen Water Be Administered
The different methods through which molecular hydrogen can be administered includes
- Ingestion of solubilized (dissolved) hydrogen-rich solutions (example water, flavored beverages, etc.).
- Hydrogen-rich hemodialysis solution.
- Intravenous injection of hydrogen-rich saline.
- Topical administration (bath, shower, and creams) of hydrogen-rich media.
- Hyperbaric treatment.
- Consuming hydrogen-producing material which is a result of reaction with gastric acid.
- Ingestion of non-digestible carbohydrates as prebiotic to hydrogen-producing intestinal bacteria.
- Rectal insufflation.
The hydrogen water is readily available in a bottle, water-soluble hydrogen tablets, portable hydrogen water maker, generators and machines. Now you can have freshly brewed hydrogen water with the help of hydrogen water bottle.
Bodily Requirement of the Water in A Day
There is an extensive discussion of whether an extra water intake has additional health benefits. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine gives the following metrics for general water intake via all beverages and foods, to meet most people’s need:
- About 15.5 cups of water (125 ounces) each day for men.
- About 11.5 cups (91 ounces) daily for women.
20% of daily water intake is from food while the rest is fulfilled by drinking water and water-based beverages.
Hydrogen-rich water is the next big thing of the century. Even though the research is limited, there is no downside to drinking hydrogen-infused water since it is non-toxic and inexpensive. Just be sure to use non-permeable containers to reduce any chance of compromise with the quality of water. Hydro Concept gives you easy access to a glass of health with their Hydrogen Water Bottle. Call us, mail us or simply visit our website for more info.